Saturday, June 5, 2010

Letter for the future

Have you ever written a letter for someone later in your life?  Perhaps your children or another loved one?  Well, that is precisely what I did today.  Now that "My Fair Lady" is safely in the Philippines serving away as missionaries do, I thought of how much I want my children to share the experience of what a mission is like.  One of the hardest problems with writing to such an invisible audience is finding a style that will convey your message.  After all, what are my children going to be like?  What age should I finally give them the letter?  With so many variables it makes you second guess nearly every sentence, kind of like writing on a blog.  Those who may read this are just as invisible to me as are my future children.  So invisibles.....what is it that would stir a desire in you to serve a mission?  What are your fears and concerns?  What can I possibly tell you that would make you feel like a warm blanket of comfort and concern has been lovingly placed around you, enveloping your entire being with the heated desire to do more and be more.  How would you know that I loved you and cared about what your decision might be?

Well, your silence is very reassuring.  Haha, ok so obviously you cannot answer me before I write that which is already written, but these thoughts all went into the making of a beautiful letter.  If nothing else I want to serve a mission again...and again and again.  Alas, for the time being tis' proposterous to dream of such things.  Someday I will return to the mission field and this time I will get to choose my companion.  Well actually I have already chosen, but I hope she chooses me too.  My sweetheart is so very far, as if distance weren't enough they put an international dateline between us also, putting me a whole day behind her.  I miss her a great deal.  To her aide I pledge my continual support, whatever the need. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment