Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sound familiar?

Have you ever watched "The Best Two Years"?  If you haven't, please do.  It gives insight into the life of a missionary and many of the comical things that seem to happen to them.  Today I felt like I was acting out one of the scenes when I noticed there was mail in the mailbox.....on Sunday.  Obviously I hadn't checked yesterday.  Anyway, to my surprise I had a package from my fair lady.  As I opened it I was surprised to find a microcassette.  This is where the enactment of the movie kicked in.  I was suddenly in a craze to find something that would allow me to listen to this tape.  I zoomed around the house looking everywhere, but to no avail.  Just to be sure I asked my aunt who confirmed my suspicions, there was no tape player in the house.  I looked for the nearest shoes (in the movie I believe they were wooden shoes) and convinced myself that I would go over to neighbors and ask if I could borrow one, if they had it.  Luckily my aunt was being visited by our bishops wife at the time who mentioned her husband may have one.  In my wooden shoes (sandals) I drove over to his house and borrowed the prized possession.  Its so good to hear her voice again.  Oh, just so you know I didn't get dumped like in the movie.  Thank goodness there were some distinct differences.  Anyway, it made my day to hear from her and for once I mean that in a literal sense.  Emotions are so much easier to detect by voice than by letter, especially when the tape cuts out ever so often mid-sentence; poor girl probably almost drowned recording the tape.  I sure do love her though and I know she loves me too.  We miss each other.  It isn't easy.  She struggles on a daily basis to not think about me so she can focus on her work.  I struggle waiting for the next time I will be able to receive word of her.  Everytime I hear her name or hear news about her, whether it be from her or someone else, I consider to be a gift.  I treasure each of these gifts.  I'm certain that their value far surpasses any offer that could ever be made on them.  Those who can, treasure those who are close to you, while they are close to you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment