Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 1

Today marks yet another "beginning".  Sister Schardt has entered the Provo Missionary Training Center (MTC) and I am thrilled for what awaits her there.  It is a little strange having the position switched on me.  When I went to the MTC it was so easy to go, because I was so excited to get to work.  Being on the outside it is so much more bittersweet.  Huge waves of pride passed through me as she entered the MTC to do what God wants her to do.  At the same time a great deal of longing to be at her side crept within me.  In fact I even caught a glimpse of jealousy recalling the many adventures I had at the Missionary Training Center.

I remember Day 1 in the MTC fairly well.  Perhaps I can share a glimpse of what Patricia went through.  When you arrive you are issued your missionary tag with a colored dot indicating that you are new.  Then you are ushered through several lines, one to pick up your access card (this card is used for meals, getting into the correct sleeping quarters, etc.), another to pick up your teaching materials, and if you are lucky enough you get taken immediately to the immunization area just to make sure you took care of everything.  Missionaries are more than willing to help you no matter where you go, so consider it impossible to get lost, unless you suddenly lose the capacity to communicate with other human beings.  You and your luggage are shown to your quarters where you may or may not meet your companion for the first time.  In my case I did.  The rest of the day is already scheduled for you, except for a few personal hours they give you to "unpack" and "meditate".  You go to a few meetings to teach you basic rules and eventually you get food for the first time.  Thank goodness for the cafeteria.

While Sister Schardt was doing all that I was already feeling the blessings of supporting a missionary.  I received an invitation to present my research in Washington D.C.  If that wasn't good enough it was an offer that came with all expenses paid!  I am so excited, things are going great for both of us...at least from what I can tell.  I know she got mail her first day....I made sure of that.  If nothing else that should make it a red letter day.  I love her and I love the gospel we both know to be true.  She will do great!

0 comments:

Post a Comment