Sunday, April 25, 2010

How to confuse a bishop

Sometime last week I called the bishop requesting an interview.  Seeing as I have only been in the ward a few weeks (10 more or less) and I was gone on roadtrips for the majority he had very little clue who I was.  Anyway I left a message on his answering machine because he wasn't there.  When he returned the call I had to walk him through the process of introducing myself all over again.  Finally, he referred me to his secretary who would make an appointment for this Sunday.  Likewise the secretary was a little confused as to who I was.  After getting an appointment set up I felt relieved.  When I got to the bishops office today he sat me down.  Knowing I could only cause more confusion by not explaining the purpose for the interview I pulled out the papers I needed signed for my academic deferral from BYU-Idaho.  I indicated that the papers were for a deferral process so that I could continue my internship and that we only needed to review one of the two papers.  Of course he grabbed the wrong paper first.  Half way down he was like, what do you need me for?  I showed him the other paper.  He looked at it and said, this is different from the ones I normally sign.  Ugh.... "yes, this is not for admission to BYU-Idaho, it is an endorsement for my academic deferral," I responded.  "Oh, okay," was his reply.  He looks at the bold words, honor code and dress and grooming.  "Are you okay with these rules?" he asked.  "Yup".  He got up and said ok, well thanks.  Shortest interview ever.  To his favor though I was able to stop him long enough to ask for a calling.  Who knows, I just might become part of the ward yet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment