Wednesday, April 21, 2010

MAR Day

Working for the government always brings with it more and more bizarre behavior.  Today was MAR day, what that stands for I doubt I will ever know.  However, most people would simply call it training day; a day in which you go around from table to table where some poor administrator has been roped into repeating some simple words of training over and over again.  If you are lucky, you get there some what early when there are fewer people and their voice hasn't completely glazed over into a monotonous blur.  I had to laugh at the attempt to make training day "fun".  In order to make it "fun" tax dollars were spent on a theme.  The theme was Avatar after the sensational movie released a short while ago.  Posters for the event were poorly made, mispelling practically everything that had to do with the movie.  Decorations and costumes were somewhat better, but again the thought of tax dollars went through my mind the entire time, spoiling all my fun.  In the end, it was a training day; filled with paperwork, signatures, and unwilling participants.  Naturally I don't blame any who worked so hard to make it a possibility, its just sad that in the end its all so dull anyway.  Maybe it is the fact that half the training still has to be done online that leaves a sour taste in the back of my throat.  Regardless, it gave me a full day.  In addition to the clamour of training day I was introduced to yet another colleague who will be joining the team in developing the project at hand.  I can't help but feel freshly inadequate seeing as the new colleague is yet another Ph. D with a difficult accent to understand.  I can't complain, in fact I am happy for the extra assistance that may make the project more fruitful.  By all means I would like to have my research published before returning back to school.  That is for time to tell.

0 comments:

Post a Comment